Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Stains and the PO-lice

We had quite the adventure last night. I will attribute my misjudgment to it being the 5th night in a row of 3 am bedtimes. Let me explain:

So, we were just settling in to bed when we heard a banging upstairs. I wasn't feeling too worried about it, but then it happened again and again and again....and again. It sounded like someone trying to get in through a window. At least, that's what my imagination told me. My brave and valiant husband went upstairs to check things out and I heard the bang again and some very real sounding footsteps. So, because I live in a world full of drama and couldn't help but concoct a little 'criminal minds' type scenario I quickly grabbed the Chipster (who, yes was still awake) and swiftly dialed 9-1-1. The operator held me on the phone until the po po showed up. Upon his arrival he put some gloves on (I imagine it's to protect his soft hands from the gun residue should it need to go off), and up the stairs he went. Then two others showed up....they went up too. And you know what they found?

?

?

Nothing. However, I did over hear a convo between the three of them and Nik about renos and the great condition of our hardwood.

Which is a great segway into the next few paragraphs/pictures.

We refinished our floors this weekend!!! All in all it was pretty uneventful and despite a few little blips from the previous owners using a belt sander and grinding some of the boards until they resemble kindling, I think things turned out pretty good. Oh wait. I forgot to mention that as I was inspecting the colour of the stain (which Nik picked out as per instruction which went a little something like this, "I love walnut, but not too dark like our last place, but I like the blackness of the brown in walnut, nothing too orange but I like a little warmth too." Anyways, yes, he picked a colour called Special Walnut and so I was just reading the label and it slipped out of my hands and onto the floor where the top came off and I dumped 3/4 of the can onto my foot and my NEW SHOE (they were only $14.99). Nik wasn't impressed (these were the last four cans of the discontinued colour in the city) and I was standing there in tears for my stupidity so neither of us thought to take a picture even though, in hindsight, it was relatively easy to clean and didn't affect the end product. The only casualty was my left shoe and I think my right one is a little lonely. RIP grey flats that were oh so comfy.

Ok, now a few pictures. There is no real 'after' pic yet because they still need one or two coats of top-coat. But, rest assured, you'll see a final picture of these floors.









2 comments:

  1. I love reading about your adventures...and cannot wait to see the finished product

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. I think the finished product is the perfect color!! I love it!

    And so what WAS the noise upstairs??

    ReplyDelete