Thursday, August 12, 2010

Yesterday's happenings.

So yesterday was the big border run. We've completely capitalized on the fact that we live 40 minutes from the American border and buying things from the States on the cheap is pretty accessible for us. We feel a little bit bad not supporting the local market, but it's seriously hard to justify spending 50 - 100% more on something that was made in another country anyways.

At any rate, we had to go and pick up some things. I knew this was going to be a big run and bororowed our good friend Trev's big 15 passenger van. I took out the seats, except for one bench so the boys could be legal...oh, and it's much safer than letting them play in the back whilst driving. I might just win some award for being so diligent with my kids safety (and I'm totally kidding...it makes me cringe to see some of the things that we see on the road with regards to kids and car seats/seat belts etc)

So, we picked up the van and off we went. I checked the gas gauge to make sure that I wouldn't run out...just over 3/4 of a tank, perfect. I figured I'd top up in the States and save a little (a lot) on gas.
We were driving and I noticed the gauge getting closer to full, and as I pulled in I thought wow, I'm almost at full, I guess I won't top up here.

I got all of my packages (about 20 of them, Nik ordered our plumbing stuff and it all came in separate boxes) and the two skids (a bathtub and floor tile) and headed outta there! The border was fun, actually, no lies. So we were driving and driving and I heard a beep beep, and saw a little gas pump light up. Oh heavens, it dawned on me that the gauge was getting closer to empty...not full. This, admittedly, was one of the blondest moments, of.my.life.

My husband has nothing to say about it, though I'm sure he's bursting with pride.
The boys had lots of fun in the car and loved getting out of the living room...I mean house.

Our tub and tile (seriously folks, 3.00/sq foot for travertine as opposed to 10.00 here)


plumbing


the van


1 comment: